Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and costly to repair. Today’s post in the Five Star Dental Care’s dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong. If you’re already suffering from a toothache in Valrico, please visit our office for a consolation.
1. Avoiding a cracked tooth means avoiding hard foods. Mind-blowing, right? Everybody should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Watch out for pitted fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the pit, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is important to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth guard.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Don’t grind your teeth. Most people know that, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you weren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and restorative dentistry are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth.
If you’re suffering from a toothache in Valrico area and are seeking a friendly, experienced, and gentle dentist, please give us a call or visit our contact page.
Contact Five Star Dental Care:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):