At Five Star Dental Care – Jeff Bynum, DDS in Valrico we love to talk about teeth. Here are 15 things you might not have known about teeth.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as important as your teeth.
- Some prescription medication can increase your risk of cavities.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19% of little ones between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be harmful for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as damaging for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substances that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. 1
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found today’s post interesting and perhaps even learned something new about your amazing teeth and some of the lesser-known risk factors for decay.
Located in Valrico near Riverview and Brandon FL, Five Star Dental Care offers a wide variety of cosmetic and restorative dental care, including dental implants and sedation dentistry. Talk to us about your goals for your smile. We look forward to designing a custom treatment plan to transform your smile. Call today!